Saturday, November 16, 2013

Inquiring about Inquiry Based Instruction

Inquiry Based Instruction (IBI) is a very interesting approach to student learning. IBI uses questions and "inquiry" to drive student's curiosity toward experimental learning.

For this lab, our cohort had more preparation towards understanding how to incorporate IBI into our classrooms. We began our adventure by participating in teacher workshops at National FFA Convention. It was a great resource to gain, however, they seemed to incorporate more of a laboratory theme instead of a true inquiry.

True inquiry to me, means that the student is self reliant through the entire process of learning. If this is true, a teacher should not be present for any part of the experimental learning. The process begins by having the student form and present the question. From here, the student gathers evidence to either support or refute their hypothesis. Students will then explain their evidence and connect it to other resources/ experiments. Following student connections, students communicate their findings and connections for others outside of the experiment to gain understanding.

For most instructors, understanding where to start is possibly the hardest part. Why? Starting the instruction without giving the students too much information so they may be able to form a question is hard. You want the students to be guided down a path but they should be able to walk it alone.

At first, I did not know what techniques to use to do this until I saw it happen in real life. After learning about IBI and then seeing it used, I could pick out the parts and understand what I needed to do.

I felt comfortable with this technique for my lab because it does not really matter what the students do with the procedures, as long as they are getting the results that the teacher was looking for. My lesson was on inhibiting growth of microorganisms in order to preserve food. I started out with the word "inhibit", I asked the class what it meant. Then I handed out different beverages that had some of the inhibitors I wanted to test. I asked them what was the common ingredient between the beverages. They almost all picked up on Sodium Benzoate after some discussion. From here, I handed out the different things to test. Immediately the class began to test it. HOWEVER!, they did not use the procedures I was looking for. This made me nervous, but it worked (fortunately).

I feel that this lab was possibly my best lab, however, I know that I still need to improve on my clarity. At times, it seemed like as if I was on a totally different planet than the students. I feel that my techniques are beginning to pull together rather than float out in space. I feel like I just need to clear up my approach.

5 comments:

  1. Todd,
    I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that figuring out where to start is the hardest part. I found this to be extremely true. It is challenging to figure out how to get your students where you want them to go without telling them how to get there. It sounds like you accomplished this! Good job! I am glad your techniques are coming together! Clarity is something that I think will come as we become more comfortable with our content. I think you are well on your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you did a really good job, Todd. I think your view on IBI is really interesting, just making the end the only thing you really worry about. The insight you blogged really clarified some items up for me, so it just shows everyone does things different. I can't wait to watch your lesson and see what I can gain about IBI.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Todd,

    I agree that in order to achieve inquiry, the student must be interested in finding the result (you phrased it as "self reliant"). You go on to say that therefore the teacher should not do any presenting. I feel, however, that based on your students prior knowledge you should kind of give them a little encouragement instruction. For example, in my lab instead of just handing them liquids and telling them to calculate some type of value with the scale, I gave them a background on density and gave them tools that calculated mass and volume.

    I obviously loved your idea because it pertained to food. I also think you presented a doable scenario to them, and I am glad it worked. Looking forward to seeing more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Todd,

    I'm not sure that I agree with your statement "True inquiry to me, means that the student is self reliant through the entire process of learning. If this is true, a teacher should not be present for any part of the experimental learning." I think of all times for a teacher to be involved in the learning it's now. Learner frustration is to appear more quickly in this lab as opposed to others and we never want learner frustration. If we're absent we're not noticing frustration and helping to ease it. And just like in a lecture we're going to use questioning to help them get the answers they need, it's just more student center rather than teacher center. Furthermore, the spectrum we were given never states that we need to be on one side or the other, from what you're saying the your in column D the whole time, and I don't know that that's always beneficial either, students need some form of instruction and direction which is why we should ALWAYS be aiding in the learning process and ALWAYS present.

    Also, I think that inquiry is inquiry in any situation where the learner is learning through questioning... and we do teach agriSCIENCE. =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Todd, it sounds like you have a better idea of what inquiry based instruction is than I do. I like the way you took to explain it. As far as your lab, I thought it was a good way to teach the lesson.

    ReplyDelete